The 'English-erization' Of The Tribal Marked Aisha

Hello Lovelies, I'm sure this post meets you well. I promise to write often so here goes today's, as always read, comment and enjoy..............


As I was planning to write this post, it happened again, this is a conversation between me and my new tailor just this morning:
After the usual good mornings,
 Me: "I expected you yesterday and you did not come"
Tailor: "I'm sorry, I was busy"
Me: "Okay, I'll come, I want to buy Koko (local pap) and akara (bean cake)"
Tailor: "*funny laugh*, so you drink koko?, you don't look like someone who drinks koko ooo"
Me: "*puzzled*, how would someone who drinks koko look?"
Tailor: "I don't know, but you sha don't look like you drink koko"


Okay, I know this is just a regular conversation, but it was not for me because I had come to realize these days that a lot of people have me english-erized (sorry, this is how the lil voice in my head puts it and I cannot disobey, can I?). I mean conductors will speak yoruba or pidgin to others in the bus will get to me and speak English or their own version of the beautiful language, when I say O WA oo! or worse ask for my change in Yoruba, they will look at me as if I have uttered a taboo ( C'mon! Me! I got tribal marks on my face for Heaven's sake!.... I'm probably the most indigenous looking person on the bus). And it is not just the conductors, the Keke-riders, Okada-riders, my new friends, interviewers. An Uncle called me recently and spoke English all through the conversation even when I answered in Yoruba as I also offered a few deep indigenous prayers.

So, this got me thinking, what do these people see that I am not seeing in myself? Is there a certain way I look or act that makes me 'Englished'? I admit I speak the language well (phonetics, tenses and all) but I shouldn't be an outlier because every educated Nigerian should be able to construct good sentences to communicate.  Going back to my questions what is that thing that shows up on my face before I open my mouth. I'm a girl who loves culture mine or not.

There was a time I and my colleagues went for an occasion and the DJ played Wasiu Kwam1 (whom I love so much by the way), I was dancing and singing along, they all looked surprised (in my mind I said wait till they play Barrister or Salawa Abeni then you will be shocked), it is laughable because where do these people think Olamide who they are so readily eager to dance to get inspiration for some of his songs.

But, whatever they see or feel is definitely something positive, this is not pride writing, I am just pondering how many times people have been judged by their looks? how many people with either tribal marks or some form of deformity or just simply different have been relegated or pushed aside because of something we could not and still cannot change.

Dear reader, how do you see the people who are different from you?. Reply in the comment section, let us discuss.

Love ya muchos!




Comments

  1. What makes the Yoruba man eat AMALA/POUNDO(SWALLOW generally with cutlery and the urhobo man still uses his bare hands to eat starch and banga?
    Why do most Igbo children born in diaspora speak the Igbo dialet and the Yoruba parents feels English is better?
    Lastly, if they know that foreign accent doesn't depit intelligence I think the orientation would change. #mylittlen
    onsense

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so much sense! we are gradually losing our culture and this is as interesting as it is sad too....

      Delete
  2. I believe there are some other, more general factors people see at first, like being civilised, skin colour, beauty etc. They use these to relate with you. Using tribal marks, deformity and other stuff should normally come after. I believe the tailor, bus conductors and passengers used the first set of factors like skin colour and carriage to relate with you.
    I assess people based on carriage and I tend to look for something more internal than just the outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye sis! we should all imbibe this culture. Thanks for the hidden compliments

      Delete
    2. Well, First why do you think Tribal marks is a deformity? I don't think so Ma'am. Though tbh, I might get uncomfortable with you at first meet but after that it's cool. It's not so bad really except it's REALLY large then it becomes a problem.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dads Are Precious Too

How Hungry Are You?

PULL THE PLUG: A Story!